Sunday, August 28, 2011

The 5:33 Wake-Up Call

My daughter is a good sleeper. For that I am grateful on a daily basis. After going through a rough year and a half with my son, I know the good stuff when I see it.

I say that so this next comment doesn't come across as a complaint.

She wakes up at the same time every morning. Pretty much on the dot. I hear a few babbling sounds on the monitor close to my bed, always relieved when they are happy sounds - crying means it's in the middle of the night - and so I know it's time to wake.

I give it a few minutes, then check the clock: 5:33 AM.

I bring her to bed with me, where she 'reads' books or animal flash cards. What I am most happy about is that we get to cuddle with these flash cards, in a warm bed mind you, for a good 20 to 30 minutes. This gives a tired mama a little time to adjust to the dawning of a new day.

When she starts throwing the flash cards overboard, it's time to get moving.

I love this gentle morning wake ups, even if it is really, really early.

No comments:

Post a Comment