Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Proof of Dreaming - Part Two

One morning last weekend my son slept in until 8:45. He's 2 1/2 and usually wakes between 6:30 and 7:15, so this was a rare treat for mom and dad and, as it turns out, maybe a little time for him to extend his dreams.

When I went in to check on him, he was awake but lounging in his bed. I can only guess that he was still halfway in dreamland because he said to me:

"Mom, Smiley* was wearing a hat. And a mask. And glasses."

[pause]

"Tell her, 'no thank you.'"

He'd apparently had a dream about his little sister and in that dream she was dressed up in some kind of getup with a hat, a mask and glasses. I chuckled a bit at first, but then he got serious about not wanting her to continue with this charade.

"Tell her 'no thank you'," he insisted again. So I said, out loud, "No thank you, Smiley."

Since that morning, he's repeated his insistence of 'no masks, no glasses, no hat' and I have to wonder what kind of dream he had that keeps coming back to him.  Was it funny? Was it scary? Was it strange?

I got a little clue the very next morning when he talked about the dream again. The new clue?

This time he said, "gumdrop glasses."
To which I replied, "You mean like the Gingerbread Boy?"
"Yes." And he smiled.



*Names have been changed. Click here for details. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment