Thursday, June 9, 2011

Bill Cosby Wisdom

Kid: "Dad, can I have a cookie?"
Dad: "No, son, you cannot have a cookie."

2 minutes later, Dad sees Kid reaching for the cookie jar.

Dad: "I thought I told you no cookie!"
Kid: "Well, I was just getting a cookie for you dad. Do you want a cookie?"

This last line is delivered with a sing-song pitch and an earnest, hopeful smile.

-----

Boy, do I get this now. Bill Cosby was right.

My toddler-soon-to-be-preschooler son has been using this enormously cute sing-songy voice with us for the past few months, and it's sooo hard to resist. His face is full of hope and belief that a smile will convince his parents that we should give him a cookie, or let him redecorate the kitchen with crayons, or hand over our checkbooks.

Where do they learn this? Did I unknowingly teach him when I attempted to sound over the moon with things like, "heeeey, let's try some broccoli. Mmm, yummy!"  Or do they just know?

Last night my son said to me, "Mom. Mom. Mom." (have I mentioned the hilarious repeats too? :) )

"Mom." [dramatic pause while I wait with bated breath] "Do you want to have ice cream?"

Where's my checkbook...

No comments:

Post a Comment