Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Circus

We're a family of four. Two of the four are under the age of three. This means, when the four of us go on the road we have to bring a whole lotta crap in tow.

There are diapers and wipes and clothes and extra clothes and blankets and books and bottles and special brushes to scrub the bottles and, well, it's not exactly traveling light.  I call this "the circus."

This past Easter, the circus went out to my mom's house. We love, love, love spending time out there and enjoyed ourselves by dying easter eggs and hunting for easter eggs and signing songs and seeing old friends and reveling in a sunny trip to the ocean. It was all wonderful. But the getting there and the getting home took its toll.  Since when did a 4-hour trip become a 7-hour trip?

And so I said, "Honey. Let's not take this circus on the road again for a while."

There was no objection.

So, we came up with a new plan. The "divide and conquer" plan, where, if we go anywhere, we try to split us up into two's. Don't worry, alarmists, it's not mom+dad and son+daughter.  :)

Today I got to take my son on a little road trip up to Bow, WA (near Mt. Vernon) and then onto Bellingham. We ran and laughed and played and ate cookies instead of dinner and had the time of our lives. I had one brief moment where I looked around for my husband and daughter, as if I'd misplaced them, but mostly when I thought of them, I just smiled, knowing they were as happy in their camp as we were in ours.

I loved spending this focused time with my son. I loved getting out of the house and exploring new ground and taking an adventure with my son, Turbo the Wonderkid.

Divide and conquer totally kicks the circus' butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment