Sunday, July 31, 2011

Patience and Motivation

Be warned: I am going to talk about poop.

To whomever is the Patron Saint of Poop, you have answered my prayers and I thank you for this glimmer of hope that my life will someday soon be diaper-free. At least for Turbo. Smiley is still under 12 months... but I hear girls are easier, so, what do you think, she'll be ready at 12 months + 1 day? ;)

Last Sunday we saw a major turn of events in this house. As previously mentioned, we had great success right away with Turbo staying dry and peeing in the potty. BM's not so much. But whatever, I have a lot of patience.

Well, 3 weeks later and I've had it up to here with patience. Just effing poop in the damn potty whydon'tcha. That was my inside voice; on the outside, I was still able to keep it together like a cheerleader smiling through the last quarter of a losing championship game.

I had been offering motivational brides in exchange for some poo action. M&M's, extra movie watching... none of it was working.

So, finally, last Sunday I took Turbo shopping at Target. I had this brilliant idea that maybe if I got him a new Thomas the Train character he'd be motivated that way.

I steered the cart down an aisle with Thomas & Friends, Toy Story 3, and Cars 2. Whoa. Turbo had never seen this merchandising world. His eyes darted around, soaking it all in. He said things like, "Mom! Look! Thomas! Is that my Thomas?" and before I could answer, he'd spot something else and exclaim, "Mom! Look! Woody & Buzz! Can I have that?" And on, and on.

It was so cute to see Turbo's eyes light up at seeing his favorite DVD characters prancing in front of his innocent little face. And my hopes for a successful bribe soared.

We settled on a small package of 2 action figures, Woody & Buzz, and I told him he could hold the package, but couldn't open it to play with them until he pooped in the potty. I saw the deal click in his brain and thought, maybe, just maybe, this will work.

That evening he went potty, with the unopened Woody & Buzz in hand, and it finally happened.

"Mom! Look! I pooped in the potty! Can I open it now?"

"Yes!" and I swear, I almost cried and nearly took a photo. No photo! Don't worry. :)

I knew he wouldn't be in Pull-Ups forever, but I swear it was starting to feel like it might never happen. Every day is not perfect, but every night since then he has done his doody (hee hee) in the potty.

There is hope and its name is Woody & Buzz (& Zurg). Did I mention on the walk up the stairs to that triumphant poo, Turbo asked for Zurg too. I would have agreed to anything at that point. I made a special trip to get Zurg on my lunch break the next day.

Worth. Every. Penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment