Monday, January 16, 2012

Word Explosion

Smiley has been talking up a storm lately! It's adorable and we are eating up her cuteness with a spoon.

This past weekend we realized the word she says most often is "mine." Or, at least, that's the very clear intent of the word even if it sounds more like, "mou" (as in mouse or mouth).

She wants everything her brother has and more. She'll happily read any book or play with any toy, but if her brother walks into the room carrying one of his cars or trucks, she points eagerly to the object, looks at me expectantly and says, "mou."

Textbook younger sibling.

I've been meaning to post for weeks now about how many words she has, and I so seldom have time to blog these days and her vocabulary increases daily. If I'd posted this a month ago, I'd probably have 5 words to share. Now, it's a total word explosion and she wakes each day with new ones.

I love a good vocabulary growth spurt.  Here are some of our favorites:

Backpack (sounds like pack-pack), dinosaur, mine, mama (my personal favorite), flower (sounds like wow-were), book, milk, wow, whoa, uh-oh (with each and every drop of an object over the side of her high chair), all done (which she repeats 3x).

She also babbles incessantly. She speaks in full sentences all the time, only we don't have the secret decoder ring to know what she's really talking about. She has a couple of signature sounds that she makes over and over again and I can't seem to come up with the right string of letters to accurately describe the sounds, so I better get my butt in gear and take some video before she wakes one morning to say, "Hello, mother. May I please have some toast and jam?"

Oh! And I almost forgot to add that she loves to say "hi" when she greets you, even if all you're doing is returning from the bathroom. Two days in a row last week (while 'sleeping' in bed next to me), she stood up after she heard Turbo on the baby monitor and said, "Hiiii, Turbo," while waving her hand.

What was her first word, you ask? Ball. As it was with Turbo. But, shh, don't tell my husband... he'll insist both kids' first word was "Dad."

No comments:

Post a Comment