Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Royal We

Tonight Turbo pushed back on pretty much everything I threw at him. I said "one more book," and he countered with, "two more books." Etc., etc., etc.

The last instance of the evening warmed my heart. I was tucking him into bed, sure I'd be able to avoid climbing into his bed with him and he pushed the point again, but it's his carefully chosen words that got the corners of my mouth to turn up.

Turbo: "You come in my bed with me." (It wasn't a question.)

Me: "No, honey. You're a big boy and you can sleep all by yourself."

Turbo, whining: "Nooo. Sometimes we need someone in our bed with us."

I caved. I couldn't help it. And so he fell asleep quickly with Lightning McQueen in one hand and Sarge* in the other. And I was assigned Luigi* to hold while we snuggled.

And I loved every minute of it.


*Sarge and Luigi are cars in the Cars movies. Luigi is pronounced Leeg-oo-ee in our house, by the way. This is something you'll need to know should you come visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment