Monday, November 21, 2011

He's Doing Math

I've always liked math, so tonight's little surprise from Turbo has got me excited beyond measure.

Turbo has long used the number 5 as a replacement for whatever number something might actually be. Before he could accurately count, he'd say everything was "five." Five Cheerios, five books, five more minutes of his favorite movie...

Since he's been able to count, we hear this less and less, but it still surfaces. The other day at preschool there were 7 of something on a tray and the teacher asked, "how many?" and Turbo glanced, waved his hand over the objects, and declared, "1,2,3,4,5." She asked him to try again, and when he counted he got it right. Sigh, I was so proud.

But it gets better.

Tonight, Turbo asked to read books with his "heavy duty diggers" - or, as he calls them, "heady-duty diggers" - and while it was a little LOUD during story time, as much from my own laughter as from the sirens on the fire engine, we made it work.

5, count them, 5 trucks in bed for story time.


Before story time, Turbo said, "I want 5 heady-duty diggers in mama's bed for books" and I said OK.

He ran up and down the stairs twice, ending up with 3 trucks in our bed, and I said to him, "Is that all of them?"

Turbo said, "No. Five more." He started to head back downstairs, then stopped, turned back, and paused to think.

Then he held up 2 fingers and declared, "No. Two more." and then ran back down the stairs as fast as he could.

I checked the bed again. 3 trucks.

Did he just do math????? Oh, my heart just geeked out a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment