Monday, October 17, 2011

Someone Left the Cake Out in the Rain

Turbo has been full of spit and vinegar lately and I've had these weird combo-emotions of frustration+giggles because he's so dang funny. But he's also turning three this week, and some of you may know how trying a three-year-old can be.

His mantra this week is, "No, I don't want to fill-in-the-blank!"

And, of course, it's always wildly amusing to have your kids spew back at you the very words you tried to put out there as parents.


Last night in the hallway, with zero intentions of going to bed:

Turbo: "No, I am not going to brush my teeth!"

Me: "OK. That's fine. Don't brush your teeth, but that means no books in mommy's bed. You have to go straight to bed."

Turbo: "Stop talking to me like that! It hurts my ears."

And then he gave me a look as if to ask, did I use that properly?

Me: "What hurts your ears, honey?"

Turbo: "Um... something." [touches ear] "Something hurts my ears." He genuinely tried to think of something that was hurting his ears and came up blank.


Tonight in mommy's bed, with zero intentions of settling in for books:

Me: "Want me to sing you a song? I know good songs."

Turbo: "No. Sing bad songs."

Me, smiling: "OK... Someone left the cake out in the rain..." -- I'm thinking I'm very clever here, as this song made it into Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs, which I gave as a gift to a friend, and said friend returned the favor with a CD of these terrible songs. So, I'm going along, having my own adult moment outside of Turbo's world, and then I was quickly reminded that we'd been talking all week about somebody's birthday cake:

Me, smiling: "Someone left the cake out in the rain..." 

Turbo, looking concerned: "Uh-oh!"



side note: I don't believe I have ever used these two phrases together, "Stop talking to me like that. It hurts my ears." The 'hurts my ears' one has definitely escaped my lips when Turbo decides to yell and scream as loudly as he can. Charming child o' mind. The other one... I'm not as sure about, but it does sound a wee bit familiar. 

1 comment:

  1. Bwahahahahha! He's hilarious and clever. How can you be frustrated with someone so hilarious and clever? I see your dilemma! :D

    ReplyDelete