Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Smiley Cuddles

Forgive me if this sounds like a complaint, but Smiley is such a good sleeper that she can no longer snuggle before bedtime. It's awful to realize some of the best cuddles (sleepy time ones) are gone or going away.

She has been sleeping on her tummy, and often flat on her face, since she was 4 months old. There was no turning this one back onto her back, believe me I tried. At 4 months she was still in the co-sleeper right next to my side of the bed and so when she started flipping over like that, I had to cease swaddling and start sleeping with one eye open.

When you give birth to a baby in the Back-to-Sleep era, it's a bit of a heart stopper when your child wants to sleep on their tummy that early. But the experts (and this mama) also believe that when they can turn over on their own, they are ready.

Babies sleep better, more soundly, on their tummies. They also sleep with their round little butts in the air and I have loved every sneak-into-the-bedroom glimpse of that round little butt.

Turbo was not a good sleeper.  He is now, and we often have to wake him in the morning for school. Oh, the sweet irony. With Turbo, we were also first time parents, so I have to accept that I might have been part of that problem. So when Smiley was born, I was bound to do it right and while I think she did most of the work, I also think it helped that I set the stage for a sound night's sleep.

I digress. The point of this post is to lament the passing of bedtime snuggles with my little Smiley.

I bless you, little darling, for going to sleep easily, for sleeping through the night (barring any teething unpleasantness), but I also miss you and your cuddles.

Good thing she still climbs to her perch on my left shoulder during daylight hours. Let that never cease.

No comments:

Post a Comment