Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Not For Lack of Material

I miss blogging! It's been difficult to post any real content recently. Life is busy, but that's not anything new. I think life just accelerated all of a sudden and 'busy' became something to strive for.

While I'd sit at dinner each night, I'd often find great things to write about - Turbo gives me lots of material at dinner time - but by the end of the day I was spent. Unable to sit my butt down anywhere but in my bed or on the couch.

I secretly hope you've missed my blog too. :)

Here is a little gem from tonight. Oh, thank you, Turbo, for being the awesome kid that you are.

Turbo and I were in the bathroom tonight getting ready for bed. Have I mentioned to you that it takes forever for this dawdler to get on his PJs and brush his teeth? Oy vey. I've found peace with it by ignoring the clock and gently and consistently reminding him of the task at hand. I admit I've sometimes run screaming from the bathroom at the end of it all with a, "He's all yours!" to my husband.

Tonight we had spare time, so I sat back, relaxed, and watched the Turbo Show unfold.

As we were heading into the final stretch - jammies on, teeth brushed - I noticed a bit of black gunk in the corner of his left eye. My first thought was oh-no-he's-got-some-horrible-disease (do we ever stop worrying about our kids?), but that thought left my brain quickly, as I've gotten used to these freak moments of worry and find it easy to flick them away now.

Because of my amazing skill at being relaxed during the Turbo Show, Turbo was very willing to explore this new find with me. Amazing what a strong-willed child will be open to if you give him room to breathe.

I said, "Turbo, there is some dirt in your eye. Let me take a look."

He hopped onto my lap (me, sitting on the toilet), and I got out a hand-held mirror so we could look at his eye closely. The mirror served no help at all, since Turbo held it smashed against his eyeball and said to me, "Look. I'm holding the mirror to my face." Yes, sweetie, and thank you.

When I was finally able to fish out the black gunk - which, in the end, looked suspiciously like dark green crayon flakes - I showed it to Turbo on the tip of my finger.

"Look," I said. "This was in your eye."

"Oh." He said. And then:

"Now eat it!"

I guess if you're someone who eats your own boogers, then anything you dig out of your eye is also worth taste testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment