Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Buying Guide: Diaper Bag

A friend recently asked me what I liked about my diaper bag. I fired off what I thought would be a very quick email and it turned out to be a laundry list of must-haves and nice-to-haves. Here is that info, without any apologies for the lack of brevity.

Most important:
The number one thing I like about my diaper bag is that I can wear it as a backpack. There were times when I could not have gotten in and out of buildings, events, trips or whatever without the bag being a backpack. I prefer that the bag can also be worn over the shoulder so you have both options. I wouldn't want one that was only a backpack, or only worn on the shoulder.

Here are specific things I like about mine:
  • Several small pockets on the outside - it's easier than dumping all those little things into one big area.
  • Also must have some pockets inside - or you'll never find that tiny little pair of socks.
  • Outside pocket just for bottles - very handy.
  • Pocket flaps with magnets, not zippers - now, this can depend on the situation. If you're one-handing it (which happened a lot with me), you may want a way to get into something quickly while holding baby. I think zippers can make it harder.
  • Mesh. I have some mesh pockets inside and it's good for breathability for some things like wet clothes.
  • Separate (not attached) diaper changing pad. I have used this over and over and over. I always put it back into the slot in the diaper bag - which on my own diaper bag can sometimes be a bit hard with the straps where they are, but honestly, it's a tiny problem for a bag I love.

Two other things I think are important:
  1. Get yourself a smaller diaper bag too - one for short, well-timed outings, and just big enough to carry one diaper, some wipes, a tiny tube of ointment and maybe even a snack for you. You won't regret it! How I used it: I would pack both diaper bags into the car and when I got to the grocery store (or wherever), I could decide if a little bag was fine, or if I felt more comfortable with the bigger, has-everything-I-need bag.
  2. Nice-smelling plastic bags for dirty diapers. I got these as a baby shower gift when I was pregnant with my now 2.5-yr old. I still have some left. They last a long time since I only use them in public places. You will be SO happy to have these while out and about and your friends will thank you too. Go to www.amazon.com and search for "Sassy Disposable Diaper Sacks" - I'm sure there are others, but that's the kind I have.
Links:
I have a Ju Ju Be bag. Here is my bag and I love it. My colors = brown robin.

JJB has a smaller bag too, which might be perfect for the smaller bag occasions. But I'm still partial to my Seattle-made Laura Bee bag. Bonus = no animal cruelty with Laura Bee Designs.

Petunia Pickle Bottom is also adorable. I see them everywhere.

Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment