Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Miracle of Miracles

Let me get right to the point: Both kids are asleep before 8 PM. Did you hear that? Both kids. Before 8. Have pigs flown? Is there ice in Hades?

This has pretty much never happened in our home and I almost don't know what to do with myself. Scratch that... I know exactly what to do with myself:
  • Remove contacts, wash daily grime off face - alone, and moving as slowly as I'd like
  • Look my husband in the eye - and linger without being interrupted
  • Read in bed - something other than Horton Hears A Who (Girl With a Dragon Tattoo!)
  • Sleep - and set the alarm for an interval greater than 8 hours
I've mentioned in previous posts that there is a story to tell about my husband. Let me give you the highlight reel. He does this for recreation: 


Amazing, right? And he was performing this amazing skill a couple of weekends ago and hurt his knee. When I say 'hurt' his knee, what I really mean is he broke and tore the ever-lovin' crap out of it and now is on crutches and requires surgery and some lengthy physical therapy. Ouch. Sweetie, I am so very sorry this happened to you. :(

This event has required our whole family to adjust to a new routine, and while I think we're getting the hang of things, I haven't had 8 hours of nightly sleep for two weeks. I've been lucky to get 6. In this house I don't always get 8 hours, but I can usually squeeze in a few of those nights each week and I really miss that guarantee.

Dear Smiley and Turbo, please sleep through the night. I wish you peaceful dreams of lollipops and gumballs and bouncy balls and trampolines and all the things that would make you want to linger in your beds come morning.

Thank you and good night. My book is waiting.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy the quiet, don't stay up too late. Kids can sense when the lit is turned off in your room and your have shut your eyes....fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs all around. Sorry to hear about Aaron's knee. x

    ReplyDelete