Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Supermom Moments

I love those moments when I feel like a super mom, or, better put... Supermom. I will admit I am also learning to love the many moments when I am not at my best because those are often more memorable and rife with opportunities for growth. More on that to come soon.

Tonight my Supermom moment involved a very poopy diaper. Yes, I know, eww. But it's a good story and I'm proud of this success so please bear with me.

Smiley is a very good sleeper. There have been two times that I can recall where she pooped in the middle of the night and slept right through it. The first time was maybe six months ago and I happened to be in the room trying with all my might to get Turbo to sleep. I remember there was an unmistakable rumble from the crib across the room and I thought to myself, "uh oh." I was able to change her that night with little fuss, and I thanked my lucky stars that I was in earshot of the explosion. Can you imagine the poor little red bum that would have suffered had I not been there?!

Tonight was also one of those poops-in-her-sleep nights, and on this occasion I was able to change her without waking her. Such a feat should not go unpublished.

I entered the kids' bedroom to arrange the pillow and blanket on Turbo's bed - to move him from my bed to his bed, by the way, as this is our new norm - when I smelled the signs that she'd done it again. Sleep has been really, really important in this house lately (still need to tell my husband story to elaborate; it's coming, I promise) so I said a little prayer and got to work.
I set up shop in the dimly lit hallway: nigh time diaper, plenty of wipes, extra jammie bottoms justincase, and some diaper ointment so as not to take a chance on her having a sore bottom in the morning. Then I snuck quietly back into the room, pulled my lead-weighted beauty into my arms and threw the blanket over her head.

Let me pause here to say how wonderful it is to still be able to snuggle like this with one of my kids. Turbo is a sleepy-time snuggler for sure, but he's all tall and wiry now. Smiley is getting bigger, but still kind of chubby and delicious and she loves to cuddle. I will opening weep for and miss these days when they are gone.

I laid Smiley on the hallway floor and put her blanket over her head. She squinted in the low light, coming from pitch black, no surprise, and that's about all the fuss she gave me. She barely moved and it was the easiest diaper change I've had with her in about a month. This is a girl on the go and I usually have to change her whilst she stands and plays with toys or points out our big bay window at the dogs walking by.

Thanks for making me feel like a Super Mom, little Smiley. I think you're super too.

No comments:

Post a Comment