Friday, July 20, 2012

Busytown

One of my all-time favorite Richard Scarry books is "What Do People Do All Day?" So when I was browsing our local toy store for a birthday present for one of Turbo's classmates, I was thrilled to come across this treasure and I swooped it up and brought it home.



I am pretty sure it was published in 1968 (I'm in a rush to get to work this morning so I can't double-check like I'd like to), and so you have to give it a little breathing room for being a snapshot in time. I was, however, a little surprised at how often the mommies in this book were stay-at-home moms who were given gifts by their work-outside-the-home husbands for things like "doing a good job keeping the house clean."

I tend to skim over those parts so as not to overly influence my kids on what it used to be like for a lot more women. So much more to say here, but, again... rushing to work.

As Turbo descended our front porch steps this morning I said to him, "Have fun at school today."

He paused, turned around, and said, "And YOU have fun at work." And he smiled.

I love that smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment