Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Preschool Financial Wisdom

I don't know how it happened, but we seem to be teaching Turbo some lessons on money without any real plan or intent. I hope we don't mess up his financial future.

Some background:

1. Turbo has developed this lovely little habit of flicking the lights on and off (and on and off and on and off). I've tried various methods to get him to stop. No dice.

2. One time last week when Turbo asked if he could get a special treat at the store on the way home from school, Dad replied, "Do you have any money?" - the next morning as he woke in his usual half-awake grogginess he said to me while rubbing his eyes, "Mommy, can you help me find my coins?" I was a little lost until I heard the story of how special treats = money.

3.We had dinner at a local restaurant on Saturday night with some friends. There was an enormous gumball machine in the lobby and when Turbo asked if he could have a "ball" we said to him, "That costs money. We don't have any money right now." Uh, what? I can't always explain the things we say as parents.

On Sunday, Turbo was doing his on-off-on-off trick with the lights and this time I tried reasoning with him.

Me: "Please don't do that. It wastes money when you turn the lights on and off and on and off. We need money to buy things like food and toys."

Turbo: "And balls at the restaurant?"

Me: "Yes, and balls at the restaurant."

Later that day I was washing dishes while Turbo ate a snack at the kitchen table. He got my attention and I'm so glad I turned in his direction to witness the visual that went along with this statement.

He blinked both eyes as hard as he could - on, off, on, off - and said, "Mom, this wastes money."




1 comment:

  1. boy do I waste a lot of money every day.

    such an amazing story.. love it!

    ReplyDelete