Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Where Does The Time Go?

Ugh. I miss blogging on a daily basis. I was born to write. I need to write. But where-oh-where am I going to find the time?

I have a writer's voice in my head. It's a welcome balance to the other noises cluttering up my brain, like complex Calculus exercises and ever-changing strategies to clear out the piles of stuff in the garage.

So, here I am, not sure if I have anything specific to say and still finding the need to hear the clack, clack, clack of the keyboard beneath my fingertips. It feels good.

I'm working my way up to another staycation. The last one, reported on in January, was chock full of potential with mediocre delivery on that promise. I think I even opted out of blogging the last two days of my five day respite. That's because little Smiley got sick and while I spent three good days clearing and organizing and being blissfully alone, the final two were spent with a feverish sweetheart attached to my chest. She slept, I watched really bad TV. I didn't complain because that is my job as a mom, to be available when my kids need me. I love it when they need me.

I also love being alone. It's so rare these days to get a full day to myself, so when I do I really live it up. I'm a planner, too, so I'm already making lists (love lists!) of possible ways I can spend my time while I'm off of work next week.

I have learned not to overpromise what I think I can get done in a day or a week. I used to make lists and assume I could get it all done. Not anymore. I make a list of options. Each day I wake up and decide which options I want to accomplish that day and I also enjoy adjusting my expectations throughout the day so that I'm not ever (well, almost never) feeling disappointed with what I did or didn't complete. It's all about quality of life in those precious all-by-myself days. I do not need the added stress of being too hard on myself with unrealistic expectations.

Maybe this staycation I'll get massages and pedicures and catch a couple of movies... in the theatre, no less.

Ah, the sweet possibility of doing whatever feels right in the moment. It's-a gonna be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment