Sunday, April 22, 2012

How to Win Friends

... the Turbo Edition.

This story is from my husband so it's told second-hand, but I bet I got it right.

Turbo has been really into being bad lately. He's developing this interesting black-and-white view of the world that I hope he outgrows. I live in the gray zone, as I feel life is not in absolutes. But he's his own person, so perhaps he'll trend this other way... kind of like his dad. :)

When he chooses one book over another, for example, he'll say, "I don't want that one. It's a bad book." Or, if he wants to watch The Red Balloon instead of Curious George (which he watches a lot and loves), he'll remark, "Curious George is a bad one." And all of these bad comments are accompanied by a dramatic scowl that Turbo has perfected with much practice. Future drama student?

My husband took Turbo to the park this morning before lunch. It's a glorious sunny day here in the suburbs of Seattle and that means we do everything we can to be outside as long as possible. We play, eat, and even pee outside (if you're Turbo), so we can avoid the messy house and coo at the splendor of our area bathed in sunlight. Ahh, bliss.

Not our actual park, but thank you, Google.

While the boys were at the park I took Smiley to Whole Foods for a couple of forgotten grocery items. I made it a quick trip so as not to be indoors for too long. She makes even the grocery store a bright spot. Love my little girl!

When we returned from the store, Dad and Turbo were putting lunch on the table (thank you, honey) and when I asked my husband how it went, he told me the following story.

There was one other kid at the park. This kid walked up to Turbo, who was playing with a steering wheel on a climber - pretending it was a boat I'm guessing - and when the kid got close enough, Turbo said, "This is a bad boat. I'm going to poke you in the eyes."

The kid just walked away.

Atta boy, Turbo. Way to make new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment